You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘tomato’ tag.
There are still a plethora of tomatoes in the garden. I have roasted a lot of them. Now I am making crushed tomatoes with them that I am freezing to use later in tomato sauce, stews, soups and the like.
It’s a fairly simple process (which would be a lot simpler if I didn’t have to peel the tomatoes first)
1. Cut an x shaped slit into the bottom of each tomato with a sharp knife.
2. Drop the tomatoes into a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
3. Remove from water and the skins should peel off with little effort.
You now have a naked tomato.
4. Then quarter the skinned tomatoes and place into food processor.
5. Blend to desired consistency. At this point you can place it in a pot to make sauce as you would with canned crushed tomatoes
Or put in a container to freeze.
This is what the first tomato from the garden (and from TJ’s biology project plants) looks like.
Isn’t it just beautiful???
While I had the camera out to take the picture of the tomato, I thought I’d take some pictures of the other things happening in the garden.
and a little tomatillo
Here’s okra flowering
and the little okra