You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Berry’ tag.
Happy First Day of Summer! According to the keynote speaker at Green Mountain Boys’ State last evening, in Vermont tomorrow would be the first day of winter, since the days will already be on the shorter side.
In any event, it has been a few HOT days here. Jersey weather as I like to think of it — and I do not miss it. Nope, not in the least bit.
One of the good things about summer is when the berries start to ripen.
One of the things about berries is that you have to be patient. Growing a berry patch of any type is a lesson in patience. Last year we planted six strawberry plants. Maybe, if I remember correctly we saw a berry or two from them. Definitely not memorable. This year we planted some raspberry plants that we have been coddling along since last year indoors and new raspberry bushes, currants, blackberries and blueberries. Some of the plants had some fruit on them, but this will not be their year. Next year they will be bigger and stronger and better. Just like those strawberries. This year, they multiplied and took over almost the whole planter giving us our first real berry crop!
Here are some pictures of the strawberries and raspberries we picked for breakfast — now that is pretty neat and yummy.
- Farmers: Strawberry season is wrapping up fast, raspberries and blueberries on the way (mlive.com)
- Time’s ripe for strawberry recipes (blogs.vancouversun.com)
- Berry Recipes – Strawberries, Raspberries & More! (berries.com)
- A Guide to Growing Your Own Berries! (berries.com)
- Berry Fruit Guide (berries.com)
- Keeping Cool With Berries (cookingafterwork.com)