You are currently browsing the daily archive for January 13, 2012.
Friggatriskaidekaphobic is the irrational fear of Friday the 13th. Are you friggatriskaidekaphobic? If you are, you are in for one hell of year, since there are three (count ’em) Friday the 13ths in the year 2012 — all thirteen weeks apart. How’s that for freaky? A fun fact is that any month that starts on a Sunday will include a Friday the 13th.
Friggatriskaidekaphobia is a condition that between 17 and 21 million Americans actually suffer. Frigga is the name of the Scandinavian fertility goddess and Friday is named after her, triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number 13. Why the fear of Friday the 13th, anyway?
Superstitions have long surrounded the number 13 in general and Friday the 13th in particular.
- 80% of high rise buildings do not acknowledge the 13th floor.
- Many airports skip the 13th gate
- Some hospital and hotels have no rooms numbered 13.
- 13 is considered an unlucky number because it follows the number 12, which in numerology is considered a complete number – 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 months of the year, 12 apostles.
- Fewer car accidents, fires and crimes occur on a Friday the 13th than any other day of the month.
- Airfare costs on average 12-14% less for travel on Friday the 13th than any other day.
- In the Canterbury Tales Fridays were considered an unsafe day for travel.
- Myths.. Superstitions… and Origins of 2012′s first Friday The 13th (bazaardaily.com)
- Friday The 13th Superstitions (socyberty.com)
- Friday the 13th (cayobuay.wordpress.com)