You are currently browsing the daily archive for February 9, 2011.
What’s for dinner when you have a load of broccoli in the fridge? Broccoli Cheese Soup of course!
- 3 large broccoli crowns, rinsed and roughly chopped including stems
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 T butter and 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 c. milk
- Chop onion and celery in a food processor, place into stock pot with 2 T. butter, saute over medium heat until softened.
- Add chopped broccoli and chicken broth
- Simmer until broccoli is tender.
- In a separate pot, melt remaining butter and add flour, making a roux. Then add milk and stir over low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove 1/2 of broccoli mixture, without broth to a bowl.
- Add milk mixture to stockpot.
- Use blender or stick blender to puree soup in stockpot.
- Add reserved broccoli back into stockpot.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.