You are currently browsing the daily archive for January 25, 2011.
Here’s the recipe:
- 5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2-3 leeks
- 12 cups chicken broth (or enough to cover the vegetables)
- milk or cream (about 1 cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Split leeks down the middle and wash thoroughly. Thinly slice all the leeks and place into a dutch oven with about 2 T. canola or vegetable oil.
- Saute leeks over medium heat until they are soft but do not brown. About 10 minutes.
- While leeks are sauteing wash potatoes and cube into bite size pieces.
- Add cubed potatoes (skins and all) to the pot. Add chicken broth enough to cover the vegetables.
- Add ground black pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove one third of the potato leek mixture and place in a separate bowl to be added back into the soup later.
- Add milk or cream to the remaining soup. Blend with a stick blender or by putting batches into a stand blender until a creamy consistency.
- Return potato leek mixture to the soup.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!