This was dinner last night – Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- 3 chicken breasts – cut up into bite size pieces
- 12 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4 cups instant mashed potatoes (thickener)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, jack or colby)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers or 1 can green chiles
- 1 14 oz can kernel corn
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 t. cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro chopped for topping
- lime wedges for topping
- 2 cups crushed corn tortilla chips for topping
- Cut up chicken breasts add to stock pot with broth.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cilantro, lime and tortilla chips.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken is cooked through about 1/2 hour. Add additional mashed potatoes or sour cream to the desired thickness.
- Add cilantro, lime wedge and tortilla chips to individual bowls to top soup.